If you have already started your sourdough journey, you may have started to think the following... "all this dough that I am throwing away...its making me feel bad". I got you, as I am there too, and I don't want you to throw more dough away!
And the answer to that is... sourdough pancakes!!
So, before you start with this recipe, you need to save the discards that you get when feeding your starter, as you are not throwing them out again lol! I place them in a container, and put inside the fridge until I have enough for this recipe.
Tip: Don't use discards that are too old. Use the ones that are maximum 2 weeks old, that have been sitting in your fridge, as they get really sour otherway!
When you have around 1 cup of discards take them out of the fridge and follow the below recipe.
1) 1 cup of sourdough starter discards
2) 2 cups flour of choice
4) 2 cups milk of choice
5) 2 eggs
5) pinch of salt
6) 1 teaspoon of baking soda
1. Measure 1 cup of discards.
2. Measure 2 cups of your flour.
3. Measure 2 cups of milk.
4. At least 12 hours before you want to make the pancakes, whisk all the above in a bowl, and cover it. Leave at room temperature for at least 12 hours (maximum 18 hours).
5. After you complete the above time, you will have the following (see picture below). It looks fermented, and you have to see the bubbles if you move the bowl. Thats the sourdough's job! so if you get this, well done!
6. Next, add 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder, whisk together with your dough.
7. On a griddle or a pan, spray with butter or oil, and start making your pancakes!
Enjoy!! and check our workshops here if you want to learn more about sourdough and baking! We provide baking experiences in our real bakery, and its a great activity to share with your friends and family, or if you want to customize something private for a celebration, will be more than glad to make it happen too :)
Remember to log in to leave any comments and share your pictures!